Thursday, March 4, 2010

Chicken Cordon Bleu

A week ago it was my turn to host Bunko night and our theme was Martha Stewart. I decided to do Martha's Chicken Cordon Bleu. Or I should say Emeril's Chicken Cordon Bleu, I figured since he made it on the Martha show it is still a Martha's recipe. After studying the recipe I decided to stick with the main ingredients but revise the instructions to better suit me and the time limit that I had.
I started the morning of my party and went to town by pounding 8 chicken breast (doubled recipe) to the proper size (1/4inch thick). It took about 40 minutes. Of course I would pound a breast then add the cheese and prosciutto to the chicken then roll it by holding it together with tooth picks. Place on cookie sheet. Repeat process with remaining chicken. When finished, cover with plastic wrap and put in fridge. About 20 minutes before cooking I then dipped the chicken into the flour, egg, and bread crumbs. I figured I would have more time to bake the chicken instead of pan frying them. Baked for 35 minutes at 375 degrees and turn over half way through cooking time. Remove toothpicks and enjoy. I have to say my way was easier and it gave me time in between to do the things that I needed to do to get ready for the party. Feel free to do it Martha's way. Either way I think you will be truly satisfied.

  • 4 (6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/2 pounds)
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 6 ounces sliced Swiss cheese (4 to 6 slices)
  • 4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto or Black Forest ham
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons Emeril's Original Essence or Creole Seasoning
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 cup fine unseasoned dried bread crumbs
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil

Directions

  1. Cut each piece of chicken in half horizontally and place each piece between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Using the smooth side of a meat mallet, pound out to a 1/4-inch thickness.
  2. Place the 8 chicken pieces on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Divide cheese evenly between 4 pieces of chicken. Arrange prosciutto slices evenly over cheese; top with remaining 4 pieces of chicken. Tuck in any cheese or prosciutto that extends over the edges. Secure chicken pieces together using toothpicks along the edges to form a "sandwich."
  3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
  4. Place flour in a shallow dish; season with 1 tablespoon essence. In another shallow dish, mix together eggs and milk using a fork. Place bread crumbs in a third shallow dish; season with remaining 2 teaspoons Essence. Dip a chicken "sandwich" in flour, shaking off any excess. Dip chicken in egg mixture, followed by seasoned breadcrumbs; transfer to a plate. Repeat process with remaining chicken "sandwiches."
  5. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place chicken "sandwiches" in skillet and cook, until browned on one side, about 4 minutes. Turn chicken and cook 2 minutes more.
  6. Transfer to prepared baking sheet and place in oven. Cook until cheese is melted and bubbly and chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Remove toothpicks and serve immediately.

2 comments:

Emily Anne Leyland said...

Yummo- I think we need pics too. When you come down you need to bring a bunch of recipes for me :-) Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Allison said...

I love, love, love chicken cordon bleu. Thanks for making it easier to do.